If my mother has been a missing person for 10+ years, how can I obtain her SSN?

I presented the SS administration with my ID, birth certificate and SSN. In response they said they cannot tell me anything, not even if she is still alive or has a death certificate.

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The key question is why do you want your mother's social secuirty number? One way to try and get it is to contact her presumed former tax preparer for the information and the reasons for such. Examples would be for possible administration of her affairs.

Another way is to hire a private detective to try to locate her but also pull up information as to what your mother's social secuirty number is. Absent the above, you may wish to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of Social Security Administration benefits to assist you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.