What to do if my mother died 2 years ago leaving my younger brother who is now 16 in the care of his emotionally abusvie and neglectful father?

We know the father is only keeping him becuase he get $900 a month. My brother spends most of his time at our older sister’s house anyways. Is there any way we could get him away from his father?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your 16 year old brother is being abused by his father, then you need to contact child protective services in your community. From there an investigation will be performed. If it is decided that the father and your 16 year old brother residing together is not in the best interests of the minor, then you and your sister can step in and offer the brother a place to stay per court order and approval.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.