If my mother died, must I contact an attorney?

She had no property or money in her name only. Everything was joint or TOD or in an

irrevocable Trust.

Asked on May 13, 2016 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no need to contact an attorney or even the probate court since your mother's assets will pass directly to the named beneficiaries of these accounts. Even if she had some assets of modest value, you could avoid formal probate by complying with her states preocedures for small estates.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mother.
There is no requirement that you contact an attorney.  From your description of her estate, it would appear that the issues can be handled without an attorney and that assets can be transferred to the designated beneficiaries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.