If my mother died last year in another state and I had her car shipped to where I live, how do I go about getting a new title and registration here?

I cannot find the title or registration to her car.

Asked on September 23, 2014 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The transfer of title generally happens when the estate is probated.  It needs to be probated in the state in which your Mother resided at the time of her loss.  If there was not much of an estate then it can indeed be done simply but again, in the other state.  Please seek help from ana ttorney as a consultation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.