my mother died in feb. 2009 without a will she has no property but has a banl account what happenes to it?

my father passes away in aug. of 2006 and had no property or money so did not need a will. My mother passed away in feb. 2009 and has no property but a modest amount of money in a checking account, she had no will and has 6 adult children that survives her. we wanted to know hpw t oget her money out of the bank so it could be split equally, we live in the state of oklahoma.

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Go down to the bank and ask them what they need to get the money out of the bank.  They will tell you.  Then, you may have to go down to court and have someone appointed as the Administrator of the Estate to have the funds released.  You did not say how much the account was but there are a type of estate called Small Estates in the Probate Courts.  The clerks in the Courthouse are usually very helpful in these areas.  Good luck and I am sorry for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.