What to do if my mother died 3 months ago without a Will and she had a house with a mortgage but the mortgage company refuses to tell me anything about it?

I also have checks that say “to the Estate of X”. What am I supposed to do?

Asked on February 6, 2013 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Obtain the services of a probate lawyer to assist you in filing a petition for probate to obtain the necessary orders and letters of administration to have the property transferred into your name as well as other beneficiaries if any. If you atre appointed addministrator of the esrtate, you have fiduciary obligations of gathering all of the asset information to present to the lawyer to assist you in preparation of the petition to probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.