If my mother died in a car accident for which she was at fault and the car she was driving had my name on the title, can I be sued if injuries to the other parties exceeds her policy limits?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Personal Injury, Virginia


DRichard White / MoKan Personal Injury Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You ask if you can be sued and the answer is yes BUT in Kansas and most states doing so would not amount to anything other than a court order dismissing (removing) you from the suit as a defendant. Attorneys are always looking for ways to get more people involved as defendants so that there are more pockets from which to extract money. Some attorney may name you as a defendant to a suit filed as a result of the incident since your name is on the title to the vehicle. HOWEVER to keep you in the suit the attorney would have to prove that you were in some way negligent (legal responsible) for the accident and the resulting injuries. The mere fact that you were a titled owner of the vehicle involved does not proof you were a party to the event and thus there would be no way to maintain a suit against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.