What to do if my mother died last year and she left the house to her 4 children. and we would like to now sell it but it’s still in her name?

Over the past year, we’ve been paying taxes along with renivateting the house.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You need to start a probate proceeding in the probate court in the county in which your mother resided at the time of her death.   One or more of you will fill out a petition to be appointed as the personal representative of her estate.  Only the PR can sign documents to transfer the house ad even a conrtact of sale.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.