What to do if my mother died 2 years ago and her estate was not large enough to probate?

The insurer refuses to transfer a burial policy on myself to me without letters testamentary or letters of administration. This policy is so small amount I do not want to pay legal fees to get this document. Is there a form for this that I could fill out and take to my probate judge? Or would it have to be the county where she died?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Many states such as California have an expedited and inexpensive process to probate small estate (ones less than $100,000 or so). I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney about this expedited and inexpensive process where the attorney's fees per code are typically a percentage of the estate.

If you do not want to pay an attorney, I suggest that you consult with your local legal aid clinic for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.