If my mother died 12 years ago but her Will was never probated and she left me her house on an acre of land, what should I do to claim it?

It was homestead exempt. Is the property mine?

Asked on November 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You will need to file a Probate Proceeding if you want to claim the homestead exemption against creditors.  That will also allow you to be appointed as the fiduciary in order to transfer the property via Executor's Deed.  Some states allow the transfer of real property - if there is nothing else that is part of the estate - via heir at law deed.  Speak with some one about the facts of your particular case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.