If my mother bought me a car as a gift under her name, how can I transfer the title for auto insurance purposes after she has passed away?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If the title is still in your Mother's name then it is considered part of the estate and will be transferred like all the other assets.  Was there a Will leaving you the car?  That is important to know.  If the car had a TOD - Transfer on Death - form filled out it would transfer to you outside the Will.  Otherwise, only the party appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate can transfer the property of the decedent.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.