My mother and I live in my house and I’m about to get married in a couple of months, should I do a living trust to give her the house?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are concerned about your mother's welfare in the event you die before her, you should consider consulting with a Wills and trust attorney about the creation of a revocable trust where if you pass before your mother, she would end up having a life estate in the home you currently share with her or give it to her outright.

Should that be your choice, the trust should specify who is to maintain and keep up the property during the life estate of your mother including the payment of property taxes if that is your decision. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.