What to do if my mortgage company pulled from my checking account to pay my mortgage without my authorization?

I have a checking account through my mortgage company. As a result of the mortgage company pulling from my account, my checks have started to bounce.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there is no written agreement allowing your mortgage company to pull funds from your checking or savings accounts to service the debt load on your loan, what it did was improper. You should immediately set up a meeting with a representative of your bank where the money was pulled by your mortgage company so that you can discuss what happened.

You need to follow up this meeting with a written letter memorializing the meeting.

You should also make a telephone call to a representative of your mortgage company so that you can understand why money was pulled from you account and the basis for how that happened. Follow up with a letter memorializing that conversation as well.

For the money to have been pulled from your bank account there most likely is some document that you signed allowing for the withdrawal.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.