If my late mom willed her estate to my 2 minor children without an appointed conservator, what will be done since they can’t inherit the money until they’re 18?

Asked on July 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


Christine Socrates / The Law Office of Christine Sabio Socrates, Attorney At Law

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Even if the children are minors they can still inherit from your mother's estate through a guardianship.  A guardianship must be established for each child through the probate court in the county they reside.  The guardian appointed under the supervision the court will determine how the money is spent for the minor.  This will be in effect until the child reaches 18 years of age.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.