If my mom passed away about 6 years ago and she had a lawsuit pending when she died, how do I go about seeing what the outcome is?

The lawsuit is in another state then the one in which my mother lived. The lawsuit is against a hospital.

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way to ascertain what happened with your mother's lawsuit is to contact her former attorney to see what happened and ask that certain document regarding it be sent to you. Another option is to go online with the county and state where the lawsuit was filed and try and pull up information with respect to the case on your own.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  Here is my concern:  when your Mom passed some one should have been appointed as the personal representative of her estate and been substituted in the lawsuit.  Did that happen?  Her lawyers should have been on top of that.  If that did happen and all you wish to do is to find out the result, you can review the estate proceeding (it is a public record) or look at the court file, if possible.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.