If my mom lives with me and is paying to build onto my home do I file before the build?

I want to divorce my husband who’s name is also on the home.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would speak with an attorney before you do anything at all here.  Your husband needs to consent to have her build as you say, and just filing for divorce does not give you the right to alter the structure to his determiment.  He is entitled to distribution of the house or its proceeds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.