How do I get guardianship over my mother’s finances?

My mom is in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s. She have money set aside for her personal use but I cannot get it because they say I am guardian of her person only and not of her finances. What do I need to do to get legal guardianship of everything?

Asked on February 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are the guardian of her person only, correct?  North Carolina allows three different guardianships:  Person, Estate and General.  You want to apply to be the General Guardian which covers care and finances.  They are done in a Special Proceeding, which you probably did for the first one.  I am going to give you a link to a county in North Carolina's website that can give you some guidance.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.