What to do about self-dealing by a trustee?

My mom had a trust drawn up; she then passed away 7 years ago. I have now found out that one of the named trustee’s changed my moms wishes and put the money in his name, as well as changed the beneficiary. Is this legal? I was the benificury and now I’m not. Both trustee’s on the documents were not notified of the changes nor was I. There is money in this trust no small stuff. What should my next move should be? I have copies of original trust.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


David Greene / Greene Law Firm, P.A.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The Trustee breached his fiduciary duty by changing the money to his name.  You have an action against him for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.  You should bring the action in Probate Court.  THe Court can reverse his actions and restore the money to you as rightful beneficiary.  IT can also remove him as Trustee.

Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Get to an estates litigation attorney immediately.  This is fraudulent behavior and you need him to bring an action for surcharge for the money taken a complete accounting and for his immediate removal.  Criminal charges should be discussed also.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.