If my mom died when I was younger and I was left with a lot of money in a trust fun but myfather won’t give it to me now,how can I legally get it?

I am 18 and I do not know where te trust fund is or who is involved because he won’t tell me. Trust does not say it’s only for school it’s or me when I turn 18.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether you are legally entitled to the trust finds under your mother's trust where you are its beneficiary depends upon what the trust states. From what you have written, it appears that your father is the trustee of your mother's trust.

I suggest that you get a copy of the trust which you are entitled to and carefully read it in that it sets forth the obligations of the trustee to the beneficiary (you) and when and how the trust monies are to be distributed.

After reading the document, I suggest that you sit down with your father the presumed trustee to discuss any and all questions that you may have concerning the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.