If my deceased mom left her house to her children butone of my sisters lives in the house, what to do if they still have not sold it?

There are 4 siblings. It has been almpst 1 year.

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am a New York lawyer.  The fact that one of your sisters lives in the house does not affect your right to inherit.  If one of you is appointed as executor or administrator, then you can bring a petition to compel distribution.  If there is no executor or administrator, then you should petition to be appointed.  This will give you full control over the estate.  There are many issues with not distributing such as insurance, fire, liabilty, as well as rent payments by the tenant.  You should consult a lawyer.  212-721-5300 www.siegelandsiegel.com

Sharon M. Siegel

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.