If my parent’s are both deceased and they had a valid Will, do we need to hire an attorney to close matters out or can we do process ourselves?

They only have a house in their name.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you probably do not need an attorney to assist in the probating of your parent's Will if their only asset was their home. I suggest that you may want to consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of Wills and trust to see what really needs to be done to close their estate.

The issue I see is that possibly your parents' title to the home may be in joint tenancy where title would be needed to be transferred into the survivor of the two and then title transferred to whomever is designated in the Will of the last of the parents to pass.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.