my manager finds little things to yell at me for and we don’t get regular breaks

My coworkers and I do not get our
regular breaks for working 10
hours..many times someone’s breaks get
crossed off as if they already had them
bit did not…we often hear that no one
is getting a break and if we complain
we get in trouble of some sort

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Some states require either meal or rest breaks. Minnesota is one of the handful of states that require employers to provide both types of breaks. However, Minnesota law is not specific about how much time employers must provide.
MN law provides that employers must provide “sufficient” unpaid time to allow employees who work at least 8 consecutive hours to have a meal. Additionally, employers must also allow employees to take an “adequate” rest period within each 4 consecutive hours of work to use the nearest rest room. This time must be paid. Note, the law doesn’t cover some seasonal and agricultural workers for either meal or rest breaks. If your employer is violating the law, you can file acomplaint with the Department of Labor and Industry. Further, the law prohibits an employer from retaliating against an employee (i.e. firing, suspending or otherwise disciplining them) for bringing a complaint to enforce their legal rights. If wrongfully terminated, you could be entitled to additional compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.