What to do if my license was suspended and I missed court?

I didn’t know I even got a ticket. Now I’m unemployed and can’t afford to pay for this. Is there anything else I can do?

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that if you cannot afford a private attorney to help you in your matter that you consult with your local legal aid clinic, or county bar association, or a local law school to see if there is a program in effect to assist you. The best way is to get a new court date and obtain an order to pay down the fine you received in monthly installments that you can afford.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.