What to do about registering/insuring a car that I no longer drive if my license was suspended for a year on a DUI?

I’ve put away the car and will not be using it for the duration of my license suspension (not will anyone else). Do I still have to renew my registration and continue insuring the car?

Asked on May 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are not going to be driving the vehicle on the public road for a year due to your driving privileges being suspended, then you need to call your insuarnce carrier and put a hold on insuring your car. Likewise, advise your department of motor vehicles of the same in writing that the car will not be driven on the public roadway for a year and as such you will not be renewing its registration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.