How can I get married to my fiancé if he is not a citizen?

I met my fiance 3 years ago In Dubai. We got engaged there and we both took photos together. I would like some help with this issue thank you so much. He’s currently not working and I would like to know what is the easiest way for us to be together since we want to get married? He is Pakistan where he was born; I’m from the U.S.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can petition for his fiance visa if you have seen each other in person within the past 2 years.  The process will take about 1 year from the time you file to the time he can get his fiance visa at the US Consulate abroad.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.