What will happen if my lease stated no pets but I acquired a cat and the manager found out?

She found out after having to come into the duplex because of a water emergency. She was upset about the cat and threatened to charge me to replace the carpet. The carpets are old and have normal wear/tear from high traffic areas but no pet damage. I feel she will charge me for new carpet and will use the fact that I have a cat and violated my lease. My concern is not my security deposit but I want to avoid being charged to basically update this home. Did I give up any rights and any hope of fighting this by violating my lease? I signed for 1 year typically they go month-to-month after this but that part is crossed out on my lease I have lived here for 3 years and 6 months. Is this lease valid?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok first, you area month to month tenant under the law.  Next, you are in violation of the lease agreement and you are correct that you have probably given her good amunition when dealing with normal wear and tear issues.  Take as many photos of the place and its condition as you can.  She will still have to prove the damages even if she keeps the security.  You can fight them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.