Is it legal if my landlord, who is also my uncle, recently included my father in an email exchange about a bill that was due for utilities?

My landlord insisted on keeping the utilities in his name when we moved in, and when he asked us to switch them over ( 3 months later) we owed $205 for previous service. I told him that was fine, and I would pay it. I work out of state and ended up forgetting about it and getting him payment 12 days late. Landlord had paid original bill and this was just reimbursement. Was it legal for him to include someone not on the lease, or that has anything to do with any of this?My father is also my employer. Every other bill has been on time since we moved into this house.

Asked on July 11, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless there was some nondisclosure or confidentiality agreement, a landlord or a creditor (not a collections agency--they have additional restrictions on them that the original or underlying creditor does not) may share truthful information with anyone he or she chooses (untrue information could, of course, be defamation and give rise to liability on that basis).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.