If I was penalized $2000 because my landlord signed for and accepted a certified letter for mebut did not notify me, what can I do?

Landlord had letter for 13 days. Lack of notification of certified letter by landlord resulted in me having to pay $2000 in penalties. Can I recover costs from landlord?

Asked on March 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am unclear on what basis you would sue your landlord.  But let's put that on hold for a second and try and see if there is any way for you to get the company that assessed the penalties to reverse them.  First, you need to call and indicate that your landlord is not authorized to accept mail on your behalf.  Next you need to state that the carrier that they sent the letter through had successfully delivered it and notified them of the delivery AND it was a time sensitive document, why was there no follow up via phone call or whatever to notify you.  You were looking out for the delivery every day.  Why did the carrier not leave a little post it letting you know it had been left elsewhere?  Do you see where I am going with this?  See if it helps.  If not, see about getting help to have the charges reversed and then you can ask about suing your landlord.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.