If my landlord sent me but not my upstairs neighbor a letter saying he was selling the property and moving out of state, do I have to move?

He said he was not renewing my lease and we had to be out at the end of our term and that he was putting the house on the market next month. He has yet to send a letter to the family on the 2nd floor. We have had issues with the landlord regarding fixing things in the home so he has not been happy with us but this was early on in the lease. Aside from that we pay our rent on time and we give him no issues. How long can I stay? I cannot uproute my kids again when they have just adjusted to their new home

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I know that this must be a very unsettling time for you and I can surely understand the issue with the children.  But it seems to me that the landlord has donw what he was supposed to and given you notice in wiritng regarding the lease and requested that you vacate.  If you do not he can start a hold over proceeding against you and evict you. If you pay the rent and he accepts it then it starts a month to month tenancy.   Is it possible that you can enter in to a lease with the new owners?  Other wise, you may be out of luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.