What to do if my landlord saidI could get out ofmy lease due to all the problems with the house butnow he’s saying that he never said that?

the following problems have been going on for a year and a half, the electric in the bathrooms do not work, the GFI outlet in garage and outside doesn’t not work, the house floods everything there is a good rain, exhuast fan in bathroom does not work, garage door still missing one of its springs, the house hardly has any insulation, and I have been cool with it taking some time to get done, but now, all my towels smell like mildew. I’m worried about mold in the duct work and I cannot stand having a landlord as a liar. What are my rights?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written document signed by your landlord stating that you can cancel your lease for the unit that you occupy, you really do not have a legal basis to end your lease based upon an oral representation by the landlord.

However, given the conditions of the unit you are living in, you might consider having the local health department as well as the building/permit department make an inspection on the rental. Depending upon the outcome, there may be a basis for you to end the lease.

You should also contact a landlord tenant attorney about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.