If my landlord rented an apartment to me that for 2 months did not have a C/O, do I still have to pay for back utility bills?

I was unaware when I moved in that there was no certificate of occupancy until I attempted to put the bills into my name and I was unable to do so. When I asked my landlord about it, he said that he would take care of the bills until he obtained the C/O. However, he later sent me 2 bills (1 including time not even in my lease) and told me I had me pay them. I paid one. He has since sent me another one, but I have refused to pay because I don’t think I should have been having to pay. He is also refusing to pay, so the bill is now accruing late fees which he wants me to pay also.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have an oral agreement with your landlord that he or she would pay all the utility bills for the unit you are occupying until a certificate of occupancy is issued for it, then he or she should honor the agreement that was made with you.

Technically the landlord was not allowed to charge you rent let alone collect rent from you during the time period that the unit you were occupying and renting did not have the certificate of occupancy in place. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.