If my landlord presented false statements about rent I owed and the judge awarded in his favor, how can I avoid paying?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately if you went to trial over a landlord tenant dispute and the trier of fact (the judge) made a ruling against you and in the landlord's favor that you do not agree with based upon alleged false statements about rent owed where you want to avoid paying the judgment, your option would be to file an appeal in a timely manner based upon some error of law.

In order to do so, I would immediately consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your circumstances in that there is a limited amount of time to file an appeal. It is important for an attorney to determine if there is a basis for an appeal. If not timely filed, then the decision of the judge remains.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.