If my landlord lost my rent money, is it my responsibility to eat it or his?

I sealed my rent money in the envelope my landlord sent me and dropped it in his drop box, which he told me to do, and now he is telling me he never received it. And he claims it is not his responsibility to eat it. what can I do about this?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have proof that you deposited your monthly rental to your landlord then you are not obligated to pay double rent for the same month due to his claim that he never received it.

I have a feeling that you deposited cash in the drop box as opposed to a check or money order where you would be able to get a copy of the check or money order to demonstrate the payment was made.

If you paid cash for your monthly rental and did not receive a receipt from you landlord for its payment, you have the burden of demonstrating that the payment was made unfortunately. This is why I always suggest that tenants pay their rent by check, cashier's check or if by cash, they receive a receipt dated and signed by the landlord or the landlord's agent at the time payment is made to avoid claims that the rent was not paid by the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.