What are my rights if my landlord locked me out and refused to let me in because my roomate owes rent?

She has apparently either changed the locks of jammed the deadbolt so I cannot get it. She refuses to let me in to get my things and has also stated she refuses to service me or my roommate as tenants until she gets paid the rest of the rent for the semester in full. She also will not admit to changing the locks but will only say the door is jammed and she refuses to fix it until she gets her rent in full and my things will remain in the apartment as well. She had also failed to give any court ordered eviction notice or notify us that this was coming. I am a senior scheduled to graduate.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord used self help and locked you and your roomate out of the rental you have because the roommate owes back rent, you landlord engaged in impermissible conduct that for all intents and purposes amounts to constructive eviction.

I suggest that you immediately consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation. Your landlord is not able to legally lock you and your roommate out of your rental depriving you of your belongings.

If you do not want to consult with a lawyer, you should speak with your landlord after you have carefully read your lease in an attempt to regain access to your apartment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.