Can I make a deduction from my rent if my landlord left me in a house with a damaged furnance that prduced no heat for over 5 weeks?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't do this. Tenants can sometimes withhold from rent to pay for vital repairs the landlord does not do after notice of the condition/situation and an opportunity to repair, but after the situation has been resolved, the tenant may not credit him/herself for living with the situation. What you could do, if you want to seek compensation, is to sue the landlord and let the court determine whether you are entitled to a rent credit and, if so, how much--but you cannot unilaterally give yourself the credit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.