my landlord kept my security deposit. how long do I have before filing a case. Whats the statue of limitations.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California attorney, and it's not clear from some limited research exactly what your time to sue is;  I'd hope, though, that if it's been less than a year, you shouldn't have a problem.  But don't delay, and if possible, see an attorney about this.

California Civil Code sec. 1950.5 is the statute about this in your state, and it's a very strong pro-tenant law, as these things go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.