If my landlord raised my rent by a $100 more each month without notifying me beforehand and without my agreeing to this, am I able to break my lease?

I was given an “outstanding balance” where they say I owed them $100 more the previous month. So now I have incurred late fees because I did not pay it. However they never told me it was increasing nor did I sign the paper that it shows my rent will now be $546. They have also failed to fix the problems I have identified when I moved in. Also, there is a problem with bugs entering my room through a cack around the window.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the written lease that you signed as to what you are to pay on a monthly basis to your landlord in that the agreement sets forth what your landlord is obligated to you for and vice versa. If you are overpaying for rent on a monthly basis, you are not entitled to break your lease without recourse. Rather, you would be entitled to be reimbursed what you over paid with accrued interest from the landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.