What to do if my landlord is taking me to court because I have not paid him rent in 2 months since he is not doing anything around here?

There are things that need fixed since I moved in the place 3 years ago. They are still are not fixed, plus there is new stuff that needs done, as well that he is not taking care of. The neighbors downstairs have been harassing me for months and i cant even go downstairs to do my own laundry. They have control of the heat and they are not supposed to.

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact building and safety in your town or county. That is the first item. Then contact your local consumer protection agency to determine who handles landlord tenant matters. If the items your landlord was to fix are related to issues of habitability, you need to ensure those items are told to the consumer protection agency. You also have the right to repair upon due notice to your landlord and deduct those costs from your rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.