If my landlord is in breech of contract by refusing to address noise issues, what are my legal options?

For months, the people living below us have been torturing us with non-stop noise, enough to make the apartment shake. They do drugs and deal drugs in the parking lot. They are abusive and neglectful toward their children. Also, according to my landlord, they haven’t paid their rent in months. Meanwhile, I am paying good money to live here under severe stress. My landlord has literally lied to us about starting the eviction process. The lies have been going on for a month and today he admitted he hadn’t even begun the legal process to remove these tenants. I want to make sure they are evicted. Can I stop paying rent until they are evicted?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No you can not stop paying rent but you can either start an action in landlord tenant court for a breach of your rights or ask the court to void your lease due to the illegal activity and the potential danger involved.  The problems could make the place "uninhabitable" for you and you can ask that the court allow you to pay your rent in to court until it is remedied or break your lease if it is not. The landlord will take action a lot faster. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.