If my landlord is asking tenants to show their own apartments when moving out, is this legal?

The landlord recently moved to another state half way across the country and understandably cannot show the apartment herself. The tenant does not have a real estate license. We are planning on moving in about 8 months from now and expect her to ask us to show our own place too. I want to have all of my ducks in a row before we are asked the same. I have read that it is not legal and the tenant can actually be at risk of breaking the law if they show the apartment. Shouldn’t a realtor be showing it?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From my experience there is nothing improper or illegal for you to show your apartment to possible new tenant but you have no legal obligation to do so unless the written lease agreement that you have signed states that you agreed to do this task.

You are correct that if the landlord wants to lease out the apartment that you are occupying he or she should have an agent such as a real estate agent doing this task. I would write the landlord a letter stating your concerns requesting that the landlord hire a real estate agent. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.