If y landlord deceived me about the condition of the rental when I signed the lease, how canI get out?

I signed a 1 year lease on a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house. Found out later it only has a 2 bedroom septic system and the upstairs bathroom leaks through the floor if used. The landlord has not fixed this leak yet even though I notified her well over two months ago. She did have her son fix a problem with the electric this month (after waiting 2 months) he opened up the crawl space in the roof to work on it and left it open, when I peaked inside I saw a mountain of trash rotting away. It has been here at least 8 months since before I started renting. This is disgusting beyond belief.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you entered into a one year lease under false pretenses and want to get out of the lease based upon fraud by the landlord, you should first write her about the situation that forms the basis of the your desire to get out of the lease and ask for a written agreement allowing you to end the lease without any further liability on it.

If the landlord refuses, call the local health department for an inspection of the property. If the unit is cited, it may be shut down as a health hazard. If that happens, you have a better basis for ending your lease. I also suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the conditions you have at the unit you are renting and the landlord's indifference towards you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.