If my children’s grandfather died over 2 years ago and I think he left my kids some money, how to find out if he did?

How can I find additional information on whether or not he left them anything?

Asked on July 31, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations has not passed for filing a probate action... but considering that it's been almost two years.. one may have already been filed.  It would have been filed in the county where he grandfather passed away.  If the probate was not filed, then the children can file a probate action to seek an accounting or to obtain more information about the status of the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.