my job messed up on my info for taxs and now I’m paying for me..

I was working at sunoco on the
turn pike…I looked at my pay
stub and they wasn’t taking my
federal tax’s out and had me
claiming 9 people..I don’t have
any kids at all..I told them an it
seemed to me they didn’t care to
fix it. they did this for about 4 its messing my tax
returns up they took half of it
cuz of that mess that they did not
me. .

Asked on February 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to send in a correct(ed) tax return and pay the taxes. Whether they withheld the correct amount or not (e.g. overwithheld or did not take out money at all), your taxes for the year the same: if, for example, you would $10,000 in income taxes, it's the same amount whether they took it all out up front, took half out, or took none out--you still owe $10k for the year. If they did not take out what they should have, you will have received more money during the year than you should have received; now you simply need to pay that money to the IRS. Again, the withholding affects the timing of when you owe the money, not the total amount. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.