If my insurer keeps asking for a disability slip about my ability to return to work, can they use this to stop paying for treatments when I return to work full-time?

I was involved in car accident that initially caused me to go on FMLA. This form was sent to the insurance company and the date to return to work was noted by them. I was then let go before my return to work date and have been unemployed. I continue medical care through my auto insurance policy but searching for full-time work. I have let them know I am looking for work and even asked my question above but they refuse to answer. Now that I have found full time work, I fear they may try to

stop paying for my treatment though the injury still remains.

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Insurance Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Disability is income replacement for you while you cannot work (subject to the limitations and terms of the policy, of course). It is not compensation for having been injured, and is not payment for medical treatment (the latter comes from your health insurance). Therefore, when you can and/or do go back to work full time, your disability generally does stop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.