If my insurance adjuster says that my car is totaled but it is still drivable, can I get a second opion before settling with my insurer?

Asked on February 9, 2013 under Accident Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if your vehicle was in an accident and suffered damages, you are entitled to as many opinion and estimates with respect to the costs for the vehicle's repairs. I would speak for your claims representative about getting another estimate as to the costs for the repair of your damages vehicle and then decide what you want to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.