If my husband’s attorney wants to settle a week before trial and I have no attorney, what should I do?

My husband filed for divorce, I’m a Canadian citizen living in TX and he filed before the immigration interview. I cannot find or afford a lawyer and he has a good attorney. His attorney

wants to settle and the trial is next week. What should I do? I have spent so much time trying to find a lawyer and now I have to scramble to get as much documentation for the trial, in case the judge decides she doesn’t want to push back the court date and give me more time.

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Ok, so find an attorney who will consult with you on an hourly basis. Lawyers do not want to take on cases that are so far along without huge retainers.  It takes a lot to get up to speed and so I can see why you are having trouble finding one.  But lawyers who consult only with you - advise you on the law, review documents sent by other attorneys - do not have to put in a formal appearance in a case.  They simply tell you if the "contract" is a good one and what you under the law are entitled to.  Try doing that asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.