What to do if my husband would like to adopt my son?

I am the only parent he has ever had and the only one on his birth certificate. What forms and steps do I need to take to get a full adoption?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the desired adoption of your son by your husband. If the biological father is still alive he will need to be approached about signing adoption papers where he would give up all rights to the son. If he is deceased, you need to be careful about social security benefits being lost for your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.