What to do if my husband has our children for a visit but will not let them come home?

My husband works out of state and has been gone 3 months. We have 2 children together. They went to visit him and he refuses to let them come home. I can’t get in contact with him and I have filed for divorce but I need to know how to get them back.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your endeavor in trying to locate your children and bring them back to you.

Most likely you may need to get law enforcement involved in the situation to locate the children and have your husband served with the necessary paperwork with respect to a child custody petition that most likely will need to be filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.