What to do if an employer deducts for shortages but this means that an employee can make less than minimum wage?

My husband works at a sandwhich shop chain and they’ll make their employees pay them if they end up short on money for the day. For example, if they were supposed to make $100 that day, and for some reason they only made $90, then the employees would have to pay for the difference. This means that sometimes they actually make less than minimum wage for the day. Is this legal?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country one's employer cannot legally debit from an employee's pay check monies due the employee under the facts of the matter that you have written about. What you have written about is not legally permissible.

I suggest that you consult further with a representative with your local department of labor and/or a labor law attorney as to what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.