If my husband works as a garage booth attendant for a casino, what are his rights to security since he must transport the cash drawer?

At the beginning of his shift he picks up his cash drawer and walks to the garage booth. The company was having a security officer escort him with the cash drawer to and from the booth (keep in mind the walk from the cage to the garage booth is about 100 feet if not more and he has to walk outside on a very busy street at 11:00 at night). The company has now decided they are not going to provide a security escort. He fears for his safety. Is there anything he can do? He has tried talking to higher ups but they have told him they are short handed in security and can not provided this anymore.

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing that can be done short of your husband's employer voluntarily reinstating his security escort. The fact is that in an "at will" employent arrangement, an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems necessary. This includes what type of security to have in order to protect its employee's.
Accordingly, unless this action is prohibited by company policy, a union agreement or can employment contract, your husband as no right to such an escort. Also his treatment must not be based n some form of actionable discrimination or retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.